Hard Drive Fails + Mom Wins.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

About a week and a half ago I was sitting in bed on a Friday night, sipping wine, churning out blogposts, editing photos, doing readings for my upcoming papers - basically, I was on a roll. 

And then...


source
source
I tried turning it off and on again....no luck...it made lots of unfortunate sounds before the screen would turn black again accompanied by a whining moan. Also, I have no idea why I work in total darkness like I live in a cave or why my immediate reaction was to press the space bar.

source
As everyone knows regardless of technological abilities, age, or distance (about 4,000 miles to be exact), the natural next step is to.......call mom - "YES I KNOW YOU'RE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ATLANTIC OCEAN BUT PLEASE FIX IT MOM."

source
I went to the Apple store first thing the next morning without an appointment and they squeezed me in with the Genius department an hour later - whew. I showed the employee the video I took on my phone and it took him about .5 seconds of hearing the clicking to say that it was a hard drive failure. They ran a few more tests and also found that my logic board failed. Both would have to be replaced, which meant that my laptop had to spend the next 5 days in the shop and that it would be 100% wiped when I got it back.

source 
So yes, my trusty laptop that got me through college, years of design and freelance work, the home to thousands of photos, music, and documents is now an empty shell. My 11 years worth of music in my iTunes library, all of my snazzy design software, Microsoft Office and all those things you don't think about until they're gone, and of course the thousands of photos from life, trips, school, family, everything and anything, all of my documents for school. Did I mention I also have three research papers due in about 3 weeks?

source
I had been religious about backing it up on a bi-weekly basis when I lived in Texas, but my external hard drive was too heavy for my luggage when I moved to England. Meaning...I had no back up. LUCKILY, when I was home for Christmas I did a full Time Machine back up, but I shudder to think about where I'd be if I hadn't done that. However...that hard drive was still in Texas.

source
Not only did my mom wake up at an ungodly hour with the time zone difference to be my emotional support in my moment of sheer panic, but she additionally found my hard drive, drove straight to FedEx, paid a dumb amount to get it here quickly, and wrote a long letter explaining to customs that it was just a student's hard drive and did not contain anything that border patrol would be interested in.

source
So, I apologize for the radio silence here on the blog lately but I haven't had a computer to work or nor any of my photos. Keep your fingers crossed that my external hard drive does its job and I'll have all my precious photos, music, and academic documents back at my fingertips soon.

Back up your dang computer. Make room for your external hard drive in your luggage. And always call your mom. 

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

Disqus for http://whattheelleblog.blogspot.co.uk/

© What the Elle. Design by Fearne.