Snippets of home & sick at the airport...again!

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

She's alive!

Who's alive?


It's amazing that my last post was only three weeks ago, because of the sheer amount of stuff that has happened in between.

First up, Christmas.

Christmas is my absolute favorite time of year to be home. My family takes all of our traditions very seriously and even though we broke a few this year due to how hectic it was, it was still wonderful. We stayed at home (in our new home, to boot) for the first time in my life because we would be seeing the entire extended family the next week...for a wedding! However I was pretty fidgety throughout the day simply because I had no idea how to sit and do nothing on Christmas.

I hand carried this dog toy of a London Taxi from Selfridges all the way home and Audi loved it! And then proceeded to rip it to shreds in record time.

The fury.


Bonus photos of a fish I caught (not pictured: the five my dad caught which totally out shined me) and Audi, just because everyone enjoys a cute dog photo.

Next was New Years Eve! Party time!

Yeah, just kidding. I was in bed by 11pm and gave my pillow a big kiss.

The next morning my family and I celebrated the start of my dad's new job after 25 years at his previous one – which is longer than I have been alive so that kind of blew my mind. It's also really fun to be the cheerleader for one of your parents and their careers, because up until this point it's been them supporting my sister and I every step of the way, encouraging us, asking me repeatedly when I'm going to get off the couch and find a job, etc. ;) But on a serious note, I am a very proud daughter.

It was a good thing I got my beauty sleep on NYE because from there it was all uphill! It was my sister's wedding weekend which I won't go on too much about because well, few of you probably want to hear about how pretty the flowers were or how chokey-upy my dad's speech was, so I'll just say it was one of the most beautiful and funnest weddings I've ever been to, and yes I'm biased. I spent the majority of my time at home helping out with planning or designing the paper things, so it truly was a labor of love. I'm impatiently waiting on pins and needles to see the photos and video so I can relive it all over again.

Shameless bridal selfie and the bizarre power of airbrush makeup. Seriously, where did our freckles go?!

The day after the wedding was the day I needed to pack for my departure back to England the following day, I wasn't joking when I said this trip home was a whirlwind. I was bummed to be leaving my family after all of that excitement but I had to return so I could crack down on all my final term papers with the deadline looming.

And then history repeated itself.

I haven't got the best track record of Texas to England flights this past year. Back in September, I had a terrible case of the nerves and got sick the entire drive to the airport. This time, I started running a 102 fever the night before leaving and ended up crawling in bed with my mom at 3am like I was 8 years old again. My fever refused to die down but after talking with a doctor and making sure it wasn't anything other than an annoying virus, I loaded up on medicine and had a miserable flight to London.

But on a positive note, I have confirmed that my special gift is clocking in directly under the weight restriction.

The flight itself was fine, we actually had such an intense tailwind that we clocked in at a ridiculous 8 hours which was so early that Heathrow didn't even have a gate open for us. But, a fever on top of not being able to breathe, on top of not being able to swallow, led to no sleep and an exhausted Elle. I was so out of it when I got to London that I hardly remember trudging from Heathrow to Paddington to Bristol, I was out the entire train journey and broke the cardinal rule of international travel and took a nap when I got home – eep! I know. I've been paying for it ever since.

I'm currently absorbed in wrapping up and editing three massive term papers as well as conquering my messed up sleep and eating schedule (so my initial reaction was to write a blog post during my break, right?) Receiving a few comments from some lovely ladies reminded me A) Hey, you have a blog remember B) I know a place where you can write about fun things that don't have to be constrained to academic jargon!


Next time y'all hear from me, I'll be 12,000 words lighter.
Catch ya on the flip side!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

Disqus for

© What the Elle. Design by Fearne.