Would You Rather // Travel Edition!

Friday, August 7, 2015

 I spotted this "Would You Rather: Travel Edition" tag over on Unlocking Kiki and thought it was so fun I'd give it a go and give my brain a break from dissertation writing!

Disclaimer - you will be reading the word "dissertation" a lot in the next few weeks, turn it into a drinking game if you must.


Travel or focus on your career at the age of 25?
So I guess I'm pulling a loophole on the very first question, but I promise I'll be cut throat for the remaining questions! I think there's a big misconception that travel means being void of a career and responsibility. Sure there are plenty of jobs out there that have gruelling schedules that hardly give you time to sleep, let alone get on a plane to some faraway land! But at the same time, travel costs money and time. Nowadays there are so many careers out there that allow you to travel, some even encourage by sending you out on business trips, that you I don't think you have to lose out on either travel or career. Having a career is something very important to me, but just like many other hobbies and interests, it doesn't mean that I have to completely sacrifice one for the other. I think by choosing a career that allows you to travel or even incorporates it, you get the best of both worlds. *Hannah Montana voice* 

Have a $10,000 budget for a holiday and fly first class for $5,000 and stay in mediocre accommodation, or spend $1,000 on economy and stay in luxury accommodation?
Luxury accommodation, without a doubt! Flying first class would be amazing but I fall asleep so easily on planes even scrunched up in my little economy seat that I probably wouldn't even reap the benefits. Plus - the plane ride is only a small portion of the holiday, I would much rather stay somewhere luxurious during my stay wherever I'm going.
Never take the train or never take an airplane again?
Well taking an airplane is the only way I get to see my family & friends back home so I have to pick that one! Although airplanes have the upper-hand when it comes to long distances, I much prefer the experience on trains. The whole journey is much more relaxed and you get to see the scenery outside up close! Looking forward to the day they develop ultra-high speed trains that can go across oceans in a few hours. 
Stay in a palm hut along the seashore for seven days or stay in a log cabin in the woods for one month?
Both sound pretty great, but I could use some Vitamin D and sea at the moment - I really haven't done tropical destinations in the past few years as I've been opting for cultural/city ones, but I'm missing palm trees! 


Wai'anapanapa State Park in Maui, Hawaii in 2008 (this has clearly been my go-to travel pose from the beginning)
Be left behind in the bush on an African safari or be left behind in the water on a scuba trip?
Uhhh, YIKES. I love the sea and don't mind deep water or anything like that, but being stranded in the middle of the ocean would be terrifying, not to mention scuba gear can be really heavy! They both have the threat of being eaten but being in the water has the additional threat of being exhausted and then drowning and sinking and never being found. I feel like I would have a much better chance of survival in the African bush, hopefully I would be stranded with a water bottle or something... 
Have an awesome job in a mediocre city or a mediocre job in an awesome city?
Argh...mediocre job in an awesome city. I often have this dilemma, being from a small college town in Texas - which I definitely wouldn't call "mediocre" but even though it has good jobs, really good people, etc. it's not exactly the most exciting of places outside of football season! I would rather live somewhere awesome that had lots of cool places to escape to after work.
Be able to teleport to places you’ve already been or only be able to teleport to places you’ve never been before?
At this point in my life, I'd have to go with teleporting to places I've already been! It would be so nice to be able to just zap myself home for a few hours and spend time with my family and to get to go to all those events & holidays I've missed by living far away from home. Even being able to zap to work and skip the morning commute would be awesome! And to be quite honest, if I could magically appear home whenever I had a craving for tacos, that'd be ideal. 


Airports it is...for now.

Be stuck on a seven-hour delay, or turn up at the airport and realize your flight is tomorrow?
I'd actually go with the seven-hour delay because I'm optimistic about getting some sort of apology perk from the airline, plus depending on the airport - there's quite a lot of activities. I once had a flight cancelled when I was already at JFK and didn't have enough money for a taxi back into Manhattan or a hotel, so I just camped out all night until my flight the next morning! I was miserable around 4am but I did manage to tough it out and I even live-tweeted the whole thing to try and find something humorous about the whole ordeal. 
Be able to play every musical instrument that you touch or speak every language that you hear?
Definitely speak every language I hear! That would be so cool to be able to have a conversation with anyone in the world, and would have saved me from a lot of awkward encounters in a few countries. 

Would you rather travel along the ocean floor or take a trip to outer space?
Outer space! I love all things about the ocean so I wish I could articulate the reasoning for this but given the chance, how could you turn down going to space? 
Travel back in time to meet your ancestors or forward to meet your descendants?
Travel back to meet my ancestors! I think it'd be so interesting to learn more about where my family came from and how we've been shaped into who we are. Plus I don't really know much about my family history other than I'm vaguely just Irish/English.
Have in-flight WiFi but no legroom (like, zero inches) or in-flight legroom but no WiFi?
Gimme dat legroom! I love WiFi as much as the next person, but I can survive a flight without it. Books, y'all. 



Be able to eat anything and any quantity of food with no negative health effects or be refreshed and well rested after only three hours of sleep?
This is a tough one because I think I would have a milkshake every day if I could, but I'm also such a big sleeper. I'll try going to bed early and will still wake up 9 hours later completely groggy, wondering what year it is, what country I'm in, etc. Being refreshed after 3 hours of sleep would be so nice.
Spend Valentine’s Day in Paris OR St. Patrick’s Day in Ireland? 
(*I stole this question from Round 2 of this tag from Shane at Sea Salt Secrets and subbed it for the original last question because it was giving me a major existential crisis.)
St. Patrick's Day in Ireland for SURE! My Valentine's Day style is drinking wine and eating pizza with my other single girl friends and we can do that just about anywhere. I have Irish roots so partying with my fellow leprechauns would be awesome. 

St. Patrick's Day in D.C. 

Let me know some of your answers to the questions or do the whole tag on your blog and pop a link below!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

Disqus for http://whattheelleblog.blogspot.co.uk/

© What the Elle. Design by Fearne.