Swedish Treats + Flying Golf Balls | Edinburgh.

Monday, June 1, 2015

Near the University of Edinburgh is the Meadows, a massive green space filled with happy dogs, cyclists, casual games of football/soccer, and picnicking students popping champagne to celebrate the end of their exams. 

I kicked my day off at Peter's Yard, a Swedish bakeshop with the minimalist interior to match. With the menu in Swedish, I pointed to a cinnamon-y, sugar-y looking pastry and was not disappointed. It was basically a thick cinnamon bun that was donned with hail-stone sized sugar crystals in lieu of icing. 


In an effort to walk off the undisclosed amount of calories I had for breakfast, I strolled through the Meadows and onward through George Square on campus and circling back west to Bruntsfield Links. 



The earliest recorded game of modern golf dates back to the 15th century in Scotland, making it the home of the sport. The country has over 578 courses including the famous Old Course in St. Andrews, one of the oldest courses in the world and host for the 2015 Open coming up in July.

Walking from the Meadows, I hadn't even realised that I had walked straight onto a park-golf-course hybrid until a ball rolled past the tree that I had parked my back on and I realised people were swinging clubs left and right. The recreation area is owned by the Bruntsfield Links Golfing Society, founded in 1761. This specific park has 36 holes and seems like a perfect way to spend the afternoon or even a date, if golfs your thing. 




Only in Scotland, amirite?

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

Disqus for http://whattheelleblog.blogspot.co.uk/

© What the Elle. Design by Fearne.