Potter Pilgrimage to The Elephant House.

Saturday, May 30, 2015

One of the most famous spots for Potterheads to see while in Edinburgh and a natural "must do" during my visit is grabbing a bite to eat or a cup of coffee at the Elephant House. Elephants are my favourite animal, Harry Potter is my favourite...everything, and coffee is also a favourite - it drew me in like a magnet. 

J.K. Rowling wrote much of the early books sitting at this cafe near Greyfriar's Kirk, and has been since coined "the Birthplace of Harry Potter". Check out this early interview with Jo at the cafe here, where she is gobsmacked at the fact that she's sold 30,000 copies in the U.K. and discusses how she's in the process of writing "number three" (Prisoner of Azkaban)

Interviewer: "Do you think there will be more Harry Potters?"
Rowling: "I know there will be." *sneaky Jo smile*


While my breakfast wasn't necessarily anything to write home about, I do love Scottish shortbread biscuits a whole lot, and the elephant shape was adorable.


The best bit about the whole cafe is definitely the bathrooms. Fans have taken sharpies to the walls, mirrors, doors, and just about any free space they can find to leave messages for Jo. I spent a little too long in here, reading as much as I could and snapping photos of my favourite ones.












Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

Disqus for http://whattheelleblog.blogspot.co.uk/

© What the Elle. Design by Fearne.