The Magic of Lacock.

Friday, November 14, 2014

I hinted in my previous posts about Stonehenge/Avebury and Castle Combe that I was saving the best bit from my day trip around the countryside for last...

Okay, here it is.
My favorite village in all of England thus far.
Lacock.




Boasting a grand population of around 1,200 people and 4 main streets is the most picturesque and secretly quirky village in all the 'shire. The only thing holding me back from ditching grad school and selling all my things is that in order to live in the village, you have to have proven family lineage of living there.

Dream crusher.

The National Trust actually owns the entire place therefore none of the residents own their own homes, but are registered and pay rent to them. How's that for a landlord?

If you're into big name bloggers/YouTubers, you may also recognize this as the place that a particular sibling duo calls home...if you're like me and have paid close attention to that corner of the interwebs, you can probably give it a good guess.




Like Castle Combe, visiting Lacock is akin to stepping in a time machine and is a Hollywood director's dream. Lacock has been a filming location for big name movies such as Pride and Prejudice, The Other Boleyn Girl, Emma.....oh and a few little films called Harry Potter.


They called this the "heating room" but let's be honest, we're all going to call this the potion's dungeon.




Yes, thats right – I visited Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Godric's Hollow, and Budleigh Babberton all within a few hours.

As a Harry...uhh...fanatic...to put it lightly...I've been to my fair share of magical places. Leavesden Studios in Watford, Platform 9 & 3/4 in King's Cross, the Wizarding World in Florida, you know the drill.

Lacock Village and Abbey is definitely up there as a top location for any Potterhead to visit, as you get to literally roam the corridors of Hogwarts, get sniffly eyed staring at the Potter family house, stand on the spot that Dumbedore and Harry apparated to, with little to no other people there.


It's not impossible to get to by public transport although it takes a bit of maneuvering, and I am definitely planning on returning. Hopefully I won't run into too many public transport mishaps when I do, so let me know if you'd like the inside scoop on getting there once I get it down!



Ohhhh Lacock how I love thee.

Any Potterheads out there recognize a few backdrops pictured above?

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

Disqus for http://whattheelleblog.blogspot.co.uk/

© What the Elle. Design by Fearne.